Saturday, June 8, 2013

In Case You’re Still Considering, You Should Go to Cape Town!

I’m not sure I can think of any other place I would have rather spent my 2013 summer and birthday than in Cape Town. Though the preparation was overwhelming for me, the 2 weeks we spent studying in Cape Town were the best times I had at SIS (oops!). And so in case, like me, you were unsettled about making this trip, I hope you make the decision I did and explore the tip of Africa.





 Just a few things you should know:

University of Cape Town
Perhaps the most beautiful campus I have been to is the UCT campus. The beauty that surrounds this school makes you want to learn all day!



Learn to click
I’ve never heard as much clicks from one conversation than one that involves Xhosa. It’s such a fascinating language that people always admire your ability to click along.  


Climb Table Mountain
Anyone who tells you it is a hike is not being entirely truthful. Table Mountain is a CLIMB! And for someone who has never hiked, my bones were not expecting what it involved. But after hours, it was the most exhilarating experience I’ve ever felt. Not only did I meet so many people who chose to inspire me with a smile and an “You’re almost there”, but I realized how greatly this mountain brought together men and women from every part of the world. Even though I felt I might pass out a couple of times, I didn’t and it was truly a beautiful experience.




Observe the most beautiful African behinds.
Lol... Seriously, they were the most beautiful I had ever seen.






Hold a snake!
Yes, indeed you should, especially if you're afraid of one. Elisa was a pro with just one attempt. 




Food!
If you’re like me and your belly can take anything, explore all the food Cape Town has to offer. Mama Sheilah’s Lelapa restaurant is a must-go for food and music. Be ready to consume a lot of meat, though there are vegetarian options also. Also be ready to explore the different tastes of liquids ;)




Taxis!
Unfortunately, not all taxi cabs drivers in Cape Town are honest. Some of them notice your foreign accent and choose to take longer routes to your destination just so they can get more money off you. Once you get accustomed to the city, you can easily avoid this. Fortunately however, there are some good ones out there. And once you meet an honest one, be sure to get his personal number, not just the cab company’s number.



Weather
Pack up for some rain and winds, you will most likely get some.


                                         
AND JUST HAVE FUN!




No comments:

Post a Comment